One of the things that sets us apart from other licensed child care programs is our ongoing commitment to the environment. At Discovery Child Care Centre, we are committed to creating a healthy environment for the children in our care, their families, our staff, and our community.
Commitment to the Environment (no greenwashing here!)
- We are exclusively maintained by organic methods: no pesticides, herbicides, fungicides or insecticides are used on the premises;
- We diligently use the blue box recycling program.
- Practice water conservation (including rain barrels).
- Daily use of green bins and we compost too.
- Geothermal heating/cooling.
- We are Ontario’s first licensed child care centre that is Bullfrog Powered using 100% green electricity.
- We also use environmentally friendly cleaners/sanitizers at the centre.
- No Idle Zone policy at both sites.
- Eco-Healthy certified (First licensed child care in Simcoe County and 2nd in Ontario!)
Reduce, Re-use, Recycle
But we don’t stop there! We bring our environmental philosophies right into the classrooms where the children learn using hands on experiences.
The children learn to practice the three R’s (Reduce, Re-use, Recycle), water conservation and composting in the child care setting. They are also involved in hands-on learning opportunities that further reinforce these habits.
The children are actively involved in their own organic garden. They are taught alternative methods to using pesticides and insecticides, such as companion planting and the use of beneficial bugs!
The children harvest what they have grown and use the ingredients for further learning opportunities, such as cooking. Over the years the children have made jam, pickles, salsa and so much more.... YUM!
At the end of the growing season, the children donate a portion of their harvest of fresh, organic produce to our local food banks.
Our school age and kindergarten programs participate yearly in Earth Day Canada’s Eco-Kids Challenge and The City of Barrie’s Spring into Clean event. All classrooms participate in Earth Hour every year.
NO IDLE ZONE: We care about the environment and your child’s health! A friendly reminder to please take your car keys with you when dropping off and picking up your children. Please do not leave your car idling in our parking lot. Thank you
Learn About Our Nature Programs
All children should have the opportunity to play and learn in forests, so naturally when this gets intertwined with a school based program you are getting the best of both worlds. Learn more about our specific programs!